SubjectRe: New laptop - problems with linux
Jarek Poplawski wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 09:08:24AM -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:
>

>>Jarek Poplawski wrote:

>>>Could you repeat the reason for this ides in kernel parameters?
>>>Did you try to boot some fresh live-cd distro?
>>>
>>>Jarek P.
>>>

>>Yes, I was trying to get dma turned on for my harddrive.
>>

>You can do it with hdparm. But in current kernels it
>should be on by default - if not - there is probably
>lack of some driver or it is disabled by parameters like
>this. So try to get rid of them.
>
>As it was stated in the first reply by Arjan van de Ven
>you definitely should have this disk in sata mode and
>see it as sda, so try check in your kernel config
>Serial ATA... drivers - particulary:
>CONFIG_ATA = y
>CONFIG_ATA_PIIX = y
>and maybe:
>CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC = y
>CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX = y
>
>(if they are "= mi", you should have initrd properly generated).
>
>Probably you can also do CONFIG_IDE = n in ATA/ATAPI
>(it depends on your CD-DVD).
>

>>I have booted knoppix 5.1 but didn't check harddrive transfer rate.
>>

>If you can see it as sda, transfer should be fine.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jarek P.
>-

Hi Jarek,

The problem is resolved by using combined_mode=libata and 2.6.19-rc5.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2006-11-10 15:43    [W:0.556 / U:0.036 seconds]