    SubjectRe: Ordering between PCI config space writes and MMIO reads?
    On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 06:27:55PM -0500, Jack Steiner wrote:

    > > > I'm happy to fix this in the PCI core and not force drivers to worry
    > > > about this.
    > > >
    > > > John, can you confirm that this patch fixes the issue for you?
    > >
    > > Hang on. I wasn't thinking clearly. mmiowb() only ensures the write
    > > has got as far as the shub.
    > I think mmiowb() should work on SN hardware. mmiowb() delays until shub
    > reports that all previously issued PIO writes have completed.
    > The processor "mf.a" guarantees "platform acceptance" which on SN means
    > that shub has accepted the write - not that it has actually completed (or
    > even forwarded anywhere by shub). That makes "mf.a" more-or-less useless
    > on SN. However, shub has an additional MMR register (PIO_WRITE_COUNT) that
    > counts actual outstanding PIOs. mmiob() delays until that count goes to
    > zero.
    > I'll check if there is any additional reordering that can occur AFTER the
    > PIO_WRITE_COUNT goes to zero. If so, it would be at bus level - not in
    > shub or routers.

    As I understand it, the mmiowb on the shub waits only for the PIO write
    to be accepted by the destination node (shub or tio) that the I/O device
    is attached to, thus guaranteeing that no reordering will happen within
    the NL.

    If the PPB can reorder the write, then mmiowb is not sufficient. You'd
    have to do a readback from a chip register (assuming you can trust the
    PPB not to reorder reads and writes), or some other work around I haven't
    thought of.

      Last update: 2006-11-02 04:07    [W:0.021 / U:17.236 seconds]