SubjectRe: BIOS THRM-Throttling and driver timings
Hi

> > in general linux should be ok with this happening. However for specific
> > cases... you'll need to provide more information; you're not
> > mentioning
>
> Really? AFAICT P4 will happily slow down behind our backs, making at
> least udelays() with interrupts disabled sleep for too long.

I believe we are seeing similar behaviours with the drivers. As a
temporary workaround, we have asked the manufacturers to supply us
with a BIOS that disabled THRM-Throttling. So far, things are looking
good, but we are still doing more testing.

> > (also: if you actually HIT throttling, there is something very very
> > wrong; you're not supposed to hit that unless the fan is defective, but
> > never in "normal" healthy operation. If you do hit it without hardware
> > defects then there is most likely a fundamental airflow problem you'll
> > want to fix urgently)
>
> At least in toshiba notebook, I was hitting thermal throttling even
> through both fans were okay. There are many misdesigned machines out
> there, I fear.

In our case, we are running the unit in mobile environment, with not
much ventilation. In our test environment, the unit runs fine at
temperatures of 80-90 degrees. In the real environment, we only expect
temperatures of 50-70 degrees.

Regards
Keith

  Last update: 2006-10-09 00:09    [W:0.950 / U:0.472 seconds]