    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] error to be returned while suspended
    Date
    Am Sonntag, 8. Oktober 2006 02:03 schrieb David Brownell:
    > > A simple timeout solution has drawbacks.
    >
    > Plus lots of advantages, including the not-to-be-underrated simplicity.

    That simplicity means setting up timers in kernel space and determining when
    a device is "active". You only simplify the interface.

    > > - there's no guarantee the user wants wakeup (think laptop on crowded table)
    >
    > In which case the /sys/devices/.../power/wakeup flag can be
    > marked as disabled.  No wakeup ... but of course, no power
    > savings either.  (One can still unplug the mouse...)

    I can have suspend without wakeup. It just means that I need to
    hit a key to make X notice me again.

    > > - you want to suspend immediately when you blank the screen (or switch to
    > > a text console)
    >
    > Unrelated to USB or any other specific subsystem; the system

    That is exactly the point.

    > suspends by "echo mem > /sys/power/state" regardless.  (That is,
    > once the bugs in ACPI, and sometimes drivers, get fixed.)

    What allows you to assume that I want to suspend the whole system?
    That power/latency tradeoff is not a policy to be set in kernel.

    > > - you want to consider all devices' activity. I am not pleased if my mouse
    > > becomes less responsive just because I used only the keyboard for a
    > > few minutes. Coordinating this inside the driver is hard as some input
    > > devices might well be not usb (eg. bluetooth mouse, usb tablet)
    >
    > The reasons X11 becomes unresponsive have very little to do with USB
    > or autosuspend; happens all the time with PS2 mice, trackpads, etc.
    > Again, those issues are unrelated to USB, or to the API you said you
    > wanted to see.

    I did not speak about X11. I can keep X pretty busy with keyboard and
    touchpad. Nevertheless my mouse has no business going to sleep even
    if I don't move it and it is the only usb device.

      Last update: 2006-10-08 08:55    [W:0.025 / U:60.384 seconds]