    SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes
    On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 19:06 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Duran, Leo wrote:
    > > OK, lets' take K8 processor performance states (p-states) as an example:
    > > BIOS, which should know 'best' about a given platform, needs to
    > > communicate to the OS what 'voltage' (VID code) is correct for given
    > > 'frequency' (FID),
    > > and it can do that via ACPI processor tables (_PSS). Otherwise, OS code
    > > is left with having to manage a HUGE amount 'specifics' (processor
    > > models), and endless driver revisions to account for new parts.
    > >
    > > So, one can argue that there's merit on having ACPI, it's just a shame
    > > when BIOS doesn't get it right! (thus the justification for lack of
    > > 'trust'... the same can probably be said about other BIOS issues, not
    > > just ACPI)
    >
    > That's pretty much it in a nutshell... Since most BIOS are largely
    > tested and qualified only on That Other OS, Linux often gets the short
    > end of the stick.

    fwiw we're trying to get this changed; Intel released the Linux-ready
    firmware developer kit recently which is designed to make it real easy
    for bios people to test their bios with linux....

    see http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com