SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 19:06 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Duran, Leo wrote:
> > OK, lets' take K8 processor performance states (p-states) as an example:
> > BIOS, which should know 'best' about a given platform, needs to
> > communicate to the OS what 'voltage' (VID code) is correct for given
> > 'frequency' (FID),
> > and it can do that via ACPI processor tables (_PSS). Otherwise, OS code
> > is left with having to manage a HUGE amount 'specifics' (processor
> > models), and endless driver revisions to account for new parts.
> >
> > So, one can argue that there's merit on having ACPI, it's just a shame
> > when BIOS doesn't get it right! (thus the justification for lack of
> > 'trust'... the same can probably be said about other BIOS issues, not
> > just ACPI)
> That's pretty much it in a nutshell... Since most BIOS are largely
> tested and qualified only on That Other OS, Linux often gets the short
> end of the stick.

fwiw we're trying to get this changed; Intel released the Linux-ready
firmware developer kit recently which is designed to make it real easy
for bios people to test their bios with linux....

if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)