    SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: Please pull x86-64 bug fixes

    On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    > we can do a tiny bit better than the current code; some chipsets have
    > the address of the MMIO region stored in their config space; so we can
    > get to that using the old method and validate the acpi code with that.

    Yes. I think trusting ACPI is _always_ a mistake. It's insane. We should
    never ask the firmware for any data that we can just figure out ourselves.

    And we should tell all hardware companies that firmware tables are stupid,
    and that we just want to know what the hell the registers MEAN!

    I've certainly tried to tell Intel that. I think they may even have heard
    me occasionally.

    I can't understand why some people _still_ think ACPI is a good idea..

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.027 / U:180.676 seconds]