    SubjectRe: [patch 00/22] high resolution timers / dynamic ticks - V3

    * Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

    > With CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y, CONFIG_NO_HZ=n it's pretty sick. It
    > pauses for several seconds after "input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint as
    > /class/input/input2" (printk-time claims 2 seconds, but it was longer
    > than that).
    >
    > It's been stuck for a minute or more at the 12.980000 time, seems to
    > have hung. The cursor is flashing extremely slowly.

    ah, that's still the VAIO, right? Do you get a 'slow' LOC count on
    /proc/interrupts even on a stock kernel? If yes then that's a
    fundamentally sick local APIC timer interrupt. Stock kernel should show
    sickness too, if for example you boot an SMP kernel on it - can you
    confirm that? (the UP-IOAPIC only relies for profiling on the lapic
    timer, so there the only sickness you should see on the stock kernel is
    a non-working readprofile)

    We'll figure out a way to detect this hardware sickness (which is
    unrelated to our patchset), for now your workaround is either to turn
    off local-apic-timer support (either in the config or on the kernel
    bootline, in which case the high-res code will fall back to the PIT), or
    to turn off high-res timers (either in the config or on the kernel
    bootline).

    Ingo

      Last update: 2006-10-05 10:27    [W:0.034 / U:31.080 seconds]