SubjectRe: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps
Stas Sergeev  wrote:
>Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> then don't put noexec on /dev/shm.
>That's obviously possible, but I'd feel safer having
>"noexec" on *every* user-writable partition.

But why would you "feel" safer? And why should the Linux kernel care
about how people "feel"? The purpose of these mechanisms is not to make
people feel safer; it is to make them actually be safer. If it isn't
actually making people safer -- if it is just to provide "warm fuzzies"
and a perception of safety -- then I don't see what business it has
going into the Linux kernel. What threat, exactly, are you trying to
defend against? What's your threat model?