    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc <-> ThinkPads
    Date
    The BIOS disables the LAPIC for a reason.
    A couple of years ago Linux made the mistake of enabling the LAPIC
    that the BIOS disabled, and all hell broke loose.
    We fixed that bug about a year ago, but left "lapic"
    to force it on for those where forcing it to be enabled actually
    works (eg. some folks want the NMI profiling on their IOAPIC-less laptop)

    But if you force the lapic to be enabled, you are running the system
    in a mode not supported by the manufacturer and you are on your own.

    I don't see an indication that this is a bug.
    If it used to work and it is important to you,
    then run the old software where it used to work --
    because chances are good that it worked by accident.

    -Len

    On Tuesday 31 October 2006 22:01, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > FYI:
    >
    > Subject : Thinkpad R50p: boot fail with (lapic && on_battery)
    >
    > It seems to be completely unrelated (except that it's also a ThinkPad),
    > but it might be worth a try whether a (non-SMP) kernel without APIC
    > support fixes the issues after resume.
    >
    > Hugh, your laptop seems to be a non-SMP laptop.
    > Do you have APIC enabled, and if yes does disabling help?
    >
    > cu
    > Adrian
    >

    > VERSION = 2
    > PATCHLEVEL = 6
    > SUBLEVEL = 19
    > EXTRAVERSION = -rc4
    > NAME=ThinkPad Killer
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2006-11-01 04:21    [W:0.023 / U:2.732 seconds]