    > From: Andrew Morton <>
    > Apparently FUTEX_FD is unfixably racy and nothing uses it (or if it does, it
    > shouldn't).
    > Add a warning printk, give any remaining users six months to migrate off it.

    This makes sense. FUTEX_FD was for the NGPT project which did userspace
    threading, and hence couldn't block. It was always kind of a hack
    (although unfixably racy isn't quite right, it depends on usage).

    However, the existence of FUTEX_FD is what made Ingo complain that we
    couldn't simply pin the futex page in memory, because now a process
    could pin one page per fd. Removing it would seem to indicate that we
    can return to a much simpler scheme of (1) pinning a page when someone
    does futex_wait, and (2) simply comparing futexes by physical address.

    Now, I realize with some dismay that simplicity is no longer a futex
    feature, but it might be worth considering?

    PS. I used to have a patch for "ratelim_printk()" which hashed on the
    format string to reduce the chance that one message limit would clobber
    other messages. I'll dig it out...

      Last update: 2006-11-01 02:21    [W:0.025 / U:16.500 seconds]