    SubjectRe: mmaping a kernel buffer to user space
    On 10/31/06, Jiri Slaby <> wrote:
    > Guillermo Marcus wrote:
    > > Hi Jiri,
    > >
    > > The fact that it does not works with RAM is well documented in LDD3,
    > > pages 430++. It says (and I tested) that remap_xxx_range does not work
    > > in this case. They suggest a method using nopage, similar to the one I
    > > implement.
    > Could somebody confirm, that this still holds?

    Hum, I also tried it some days ago and it didn't work for me, so I
    read LDD3 and I found such explanation about such limitation of
    remap_pfn_range(). I heard then that changed in 2.6.15 because of the
    new flag; so I have had the same situation.

    If it is possible to remap a kernel buffer to userspace with
    remap_pfn_range, how should be done the right way?

    > > I do not see why remap_xxx_range has the limitation, but it is there.
    > > The question is then: can the limitation be removed, or can we implement
    > > a new function that maps RAM all at once without the need for a nopage
    > > implementation?
    > >
    > > In any case, here is the code.
    > Hmm, interesting. I used remap_pfn_range for this purpose today and it worked (I
    > double-checked this). I should probably do the rework :(.
    > regards,

      Last update: 2006-10-31 20:47    [W:0.022 / U:12.692 seconds]