    SubjectRe: Thousands of interfaces
    Peter Hicks wrote:
    > All,
    > I have a dual 3GHz Xeon machine with a 2.4.21 kernel and thousands (15k+) of
    > ipip tunnel interfaces. These are being used to tunnel traffic from remote
    > routers, over a private network, and handed off to a third party.
    > Is there a userspace program which would handle this application better than
    > using interfaces?

    Not that it may be suitable for your case because of various reasons (including
    but not limited to your use of specific - IPIP - type of tunnels, interoperability
    issues), but take a look at the tinc principles -- . They
    use single interface (based on tun driver) and a single select-loop-based userspace
    program. Initially you configure routing to route ALL your peer's traffic to this
    interface, and next tincd takes care of {dis,re}appearing peers, shortest pathes,
    {un}reachability of certain networks and so on.

    I don't know whenever their implementation scales up to 15K+ peers any better than
    current in-kernel implementation, but I think it's easier to deal with this stuff
    in userspace anyway. And the principles which are in the base of tinc are very..
    interesting and are unique (as far as I know) to it, making this solution ideal for
    certain setups.

      Last update: 2006-10-31 19:51    [W:0.026 / U:88.888 seconds]