    SubjectRe: mmaping a kernel buffer to user space
    Guillermo Marcus wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I recently run with the following situation while developing a PCI
    > driver. The driver allocates memory for a PCI device using
    > pci_alloc_consistent as this memory is going to be used to perform DMA
    > transfers. To pass the data from/to the user application, I mmap the
    > buffer into userspace. However, if I try to use remap_pfn_range
    > (>=2.6.10) or the older remap_page_range(<=2.6.9) for mmaping, it ends
    > up creating a new buffer, because they do not support RAM mapping, then
    > pagefaulting to the VMA and by default allocating new pages. Therefore,
    > I had to implement the nopage method and mmap one page at a time as they
    > fault.
    > However, to my point of view, this is unnecessary. The memory is already
    > allocated, the memory is locked because it is consistent, and it may be
    > a (very small) performance and stability issue to do them one-by-one.
    > Why can't I simply mmap it all at once? am I missing some function? More
    > important, why can't remap_{pfn/page}_range handle it?

    Piece of code please. pci_alloc_consistent calls __get_free_pages, and there
    should be no problem with mmaping this area.

    -- Jiri Slaby
    faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz
    e-mail: jirislaby gmail com, gpg pubkey fingerprint:
    B674 9967 0407 CE62 ACC8 22A0 32CC 55C3 39D4 7A7E

      Last update: 2006-10-31 17:03    [W:0.020 / U:20.536 seconds]