    SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc3: known unfixed regressions (v3)
    On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:16:34AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I assume that "compile the kernel" just triggers some magic ACPI event
    > (probably fan-related due to heat), and I wonder if the bisection faked
    > you out because once you get "close enough" the differences are small
    > enough that the kernel compile is quick and the heat event doesn't
    > actually trigger?
    > See what I'm saying? Maybe the act of bisecting itself changed the
    > results, and then when you just revert the patch, you end up in the same
    > situation: you only recompile a small part (you only recompile that
    > particular file), and the problem doesn't occur, so you'd think that the
    > revert "fixed" it.
    > If it's heat-related, it should probably trigger by anything that does a
    > lot of CPU (and perhaps disk) accesses, not just kernel builds. It might
    > be good to try to find another test-case for it than a kernel recompile,
    > one that doesn't depend on how much changed in the kernel..

    Martin's original bug report stated "now I loose ACPI events after
    suspend/resume. not every time, but roughly 3 out of 4 times."
    This seems to support your theory.

    But considering that two people have independently reported this as a
    2.6.19-rc regression for similar hardware (Michael for a T60 and Martin
    for an X60), a problem in the kernel seems to be involved.

    Martin, Michael, can you send complete "dmesg -s 1000000" for both and a non-working 2.6.19-rc kernel after resume?
    I don't have high hopes, but perhaps looking at the dmesg and/or
    diff'ing them might give a hint.

    > Linus

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2006-10-30 19:37    [W:0.023 / U:1.040 seconds]