    SubjectRe: System hang problem.
    Ar Maw, 2006-10-03 am 15:07 -0700, ysgrifennodd Manish Neema:
    > RHEL3.0 U3 would generate an OOM kill "each and every time" it sensed
    > system hang but due to other bugs, we had to move away from it. RedHat

    And often when it didn't need too which for many users workloads is bad

    > Changing overcommit to 2 (and ratio to any where from 1 to 99) would
    > result in certain OS processes (automount daemon for e.g.) getting
    > killed when all the allowed memory is committed. What is the point in

    Killed and logging an OOM message ? That indicates a bug (well for ratio
    <= about 50% anyway). Killed because there is no memory and a memory
    allocation fails is expected.

    > reserving some memory if a random root process would get killed leaving
    > the system in a totally unknown state?

    If you run out of memory and someone asks for more something has to
    give. A properly configured system really shouldn't be running out of
    memory anyway for most sane workloads.

    It's like putting water in a bottle, at the point you have more water
    than bottle something has to spill, if it doesn't the box hangs.

    Alan

      Last update: 2006-10-04 02:11    [W:0.020 / U:0.096 seconds]