    SubjectRe: BIOS THRM-Throttling and driver timings
    On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 03:29 +1300, Keith Chew wrote:
    > Hi
    > We have a motherboard that has Thermal Throttling in the BIOS (which
    > we cannot disable). This causes the CPU usage to go up and down when
    > the CPU temperature reaches (and stays around) the Throttling
    > temperature point.
    > What we would like to know is whether this will affect the timings in
    > drivers, eg the wireless drivers we are using. What can we check in
    > drivers' code that will tell us that its operations may be affected
    > the throttling?
    > In the past few days, we noticed that some of the linux units we
    > deployed freezes after deveral hours of operation, we are now trying
    > to reproduce the problem in our test environment. Some insight on the
    > affect of throttling will help us narrow down the search.

    in general linux should be ok with this happening. However for specific
    cases... you'll need to provide more information; you're not mentioning
    which drivers you are using for example. Or even which versions of the
    kernel etc etc....

    (also: if you actually HIT throttling, there is something very very
    wrong; you're not supposed to hit that unless the fan is defective, but
    never in "normal" healthy operation. If you do hit it without hardware
    defects then there is most likely a fundamental airflow problem you'll
    want to fix urgently)

    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at)

      Last update: 2006-10-03 16:43    [W:0.024 / U:35.612 seconds]