    SubjectRe: [patch] drivers: wait for threaded probes between initcall levels
    On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 04:06:26PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:59:30 +0100
    > Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > Ar Gwe, 2006-10-27 am 11:42 -0700, ysgrifennodd Andrew Morton:
    > > > IOW, we want to be multithreaded _within_ an initcall level, but not between
    > > > different levels.
    > >
    > > Thats actually insufficient. We have link ordered init sequences in
    > > large numbers of driver subtrees (ATA, watchdog, etc). We'll need
    > > several more initcall layers to fix that.
    > >

    > It would be nice to express those dependencies in some clearer and less
    > fragile manner than link order. I guess finer-grained initcall levels
    > would do that, but it doesn't scale very well.

    Would making use of depmod data be a step in the right direction?
    ie nic driver calls extern function (e.g. pci_enable_device())
    and therefore must depend on module which provides that function.

    My guess is this probably isn't 100% sufficient to replace all initcall
    levels. But likely sufficient within a given initcall level.
    My main concern are circular dependencies (which are rare).

    > But whatever. I think multithreaded probing just doesn't pass the
    > benefit-versus-hassle test, sorry. Make it dependent on CONFIG_GREGKH ;)

    Isn't already? :)

    I thought parallel PCI and SCSI probing on system with multiple NICs and
    "SCSI" storage requires udev to create devices with consistent naming.

    thanks,
    grant

      Last update: 2006-10-28 07:13    [W:4.223 / U:0.064 seconds]