    SubjectRe: [RFC: 2.6.19 patch] let PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE depend on BROKEN
    On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:11:31PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:28:38 -0700
    > Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:20:58 -0600
    > > Matthew Wilcox <matthew@wil.cx> wrote:

    > > > People who enable features clearly marked as EXPERIMENTAL deserve what
    > > > they get, IMO.
    > >
    > > It's not the impact on "people" which is of concern - it's the impact on
    > > kernel developers - specifically those who spend time looking at bug
    > > reports :(
    >
    > Either it is broken and should be removed, or is barely working and
    > should be fixed. If Greg wants to take bug reports then it can stay.

    I want to keep taking bug reports.

    I've found only 1 real bug from all of this. The pci MSI initialization
    issue. It's on my queue of things to fix. Andrew has also sent me
    another "interesting" patch about making sure devices are found by the
    time we hit another init level which I'll see about adding too.

    But that MSI bug was a real bug, which is good to have found. It's also
    found other real bugs in other subsystems that could easily be hit by
    other users.

    So no, this should not be marked BROKEN.

    It's a very experimental feature, as the help text says. If you can
    think of any harsher language to put in that text, please let me know.

    And yes, there also has been a proposed change to the driver core to fix
    up how the multi-thread stuff works that looks very good, but it's down
    in my queue that I'm trying to catch up on right now.

    So consider this a NAK for this change.

    thanks,

    greg k-h