    SubjectRe: incorrect taint of ndiswrapper
    Thierry Vignaud wrote:

    >>>Neither taint nor _GPL are intended to stop people doing things
    >>>that, in the eyes of the masses, are stupid. The taint mark is
    >>>there to ensure that they don't harm the rest of us. The FSF view
    >>>of freedom is freedom to modify not freedom to modify in a manner
    >>>approved by some defining body.
    >>Hence my use of the world "Personally". It's my own opinion that we
    >>shouldn't support Windows API-drivers. I don't think this has
    >>anything to do with the FSF view on freedom. This has to do with
    >>the freedom to make a sound technical decision.
    >and your freedom to do whatever you want at home isn't restricted by
    >the tainting.
    In fact it is now, because ndiswrapper doesnt load on 2.6.19.
    The fact: there's a lot of people who are not gonna be using his wlan
    unless they are able to modify the sources.
    I wouldnt forget that ndiswrapper is a tool which solves problems. Linux
    diffusion is affected by compatibility issues.
    I really cant see the benefit for Linux in stop supporting windows NDIS
    drivers...there's a lot of hardware which works only by that.

    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2006-10-26 15:27    [W:0.028 / U:0.160 seconds]