SubjectRe: [Patch 0/5] I/O statistics through request queues
Phillip Susi wrote:
> This discussion seems to involve two different solutions to two
> different problems. If it is a simple counter you want to be able to
> poll, then sysfs/debugfs is an appropriate place to make the count
> available. If it is a detailed log of IO requests that you are after,
> then blktrace is appropriate.

It's about counters ... well, sometimes a buch of counters called
histogram.

> I did not read the patch to see, so I must ask: does it merely keep
> statistics or does it log events? If it is just statistics you are
> after, then clearly blktrace is not the appropriate tool to use.

If matters were as simple as that, sigh.

Statistics feed on data reported through events.
"Oh, this request has completed - time to update I/O counters."

The tricky question is: is event processing, that is, statistics data
aggregation, better done later (in user space), or immediately
(in the kernel). Both approaches exist: blktrace/btt vs.
gendisk statistics used by iostat, for example.

My feeling was that the in-kernel counters approach of my patch
was fine with regard to the purpose of these statistics. But blktrace
exists, undeniably, and deserves a closer look.

Martin

  Last update: 2006-10-25 00:31    [W:0.101 / U:0.272 seconds]