    SubjectWAS Re: 2.6.19-rc1, timebomb?, now -rc2 progress
    On Saturday 21 October 2006 20:11, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >On Saturday 21 October 2006 13:25, Andi Kleen wrote:
    >>Gene Heskett <> writes:
    >>> ISTR that was the second time an un-logged powerdown has been done
    >>> since that kernel became the default.
    >>It might be overheating. During a critical overheat condition the
    >>ACPI code will just power off. It should still get console messages
    >>out (but nothing on disk), so if you configure serial or net console
    >>you would see a message.
    >>And check your fans are ok.
    >Thanks Andi, but heating isn't a problem that I'm aware of, I'm no longer
    >running a seti client since they moved it all to BOINC & refused to set
    >priorities to reasonable values. Cpu temps are pretty steady at 120F.
    >I tried to build and boot to 2.6.19-rc2 twice today, but each time it
    > fails at the initrd read phase, saying no (mutter) or cpio magic. And
    > this is with exactly the same command line as always generating the
    > initrd and then copying it to the /boot partition. This works well for
    > 2.6.18, which I just rebuilt after having discovered I'd lost the himem
    > magic somehow.

    Someplace along the line, either a make oldconfig screwed up, or my .config
    chain of succession my scripts use got totally fubared when I was trying
    to build 19-rc2.

    After 3 more rebuilds to add stuff like emu10k1 & the RAMFS bits, -rc2 has
    now booted. So now we wait for the other shoe to drop & see if the auto
    powerdowns persist.
    >I haven't tried to setup a seriel console because both serial ports on
    > this box are already busy with other things. I could free a serial port
    > if someone could tell me howto make the bulldog ups monitoring software
    > from belkin use a usb port instead. Anyone have a clue to share on that
    > subject?

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author) and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
    message by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2006-10-22 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:30.940 seconds]