SubjectWAS Re: 2.6.19-rc1, timebomb?, now -rc2 progress
On Saturday 21 October 2006 20:11, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Saturday 21 October 2006 13:25, Andi Kleen wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <> writes:
>>> ISTR that was the second time an un-logged powerdown has been done
>>> since that kernel became the default.
>>It might be overheating. During a critical overheat condition the
>>ACPI code will just power off. It should still get console messages
>>out (but nothing on disk), so if you configure serial or net console
>>you would see a message.
>>And check your fans are ok.
>Thanks Andi, but heating isn't a problem that I'm aware of, I'm no longer
>running a seti client since they moved it all to BOINC & refused to set
>priorities to reasonable values. Cpu temps are pretty steady at 120F.
>I tried to build and boot to 2.6.19-rc2 twice today, but each time it
> fails at the initrd read phase, saying no (mutter) or cpio magic. And
> this is with exactly the same command line as always generating the
> initrd and then copying it to the /boot partition. This works well for
> 2.6.18, which I just rebuilt after having discovered I'd lost the himem
> magic somehow.

Someplace along the line, either a make oldconfig screwed up, or my .config
chain of succession my scripts use got totally fubared when I was trying
to build 19-rc2.

After 3 more rebuilds to add stuff like emu10k1 & the RAMFS bits, -rc2 has
now booted. So now we wait for the other shoe to drop & see if the auto
powerdowns persist.
>I haven't tried to setup a seriel console because both serial ports on
> this box are already busy with other things. I could free a serial port
> if someone could tell me howto make the bulldog ups monitoring software
> from belkin use a usb port instead. Anyone have a clue to share on that
> subject?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author) and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
message by Gene Heskett are: