SubjectRe: 2.6.19-rc1, timebomb?
On Saturday 21 October 2006 13:25, Andi Kleen wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:
>> ISTR that was the second time an un-logged powerdown has been done
>> since that kernel became the default.
>
>It might be overheating. During a critical overheat condition the
>ACPI code will just power off. It should still get console messages
>out (but nothing on disk), so if you configure serial or net console
>you would see a message.
>
>And check your fans are ok.
>
>-Andi
>-

Thanks Andi, but heating isn't a problem that I'm aware of, I'm no longer
running a seti client since they moved it all to BOINC & refused to set
priorities to reasonable values. Cpu temps are pretty steady at 120F.

I tried to build and boot to 2.6.19-rc2 twice today, but each time it fails
at the initrd read phase, saying no (mutter) or cpio magic. And this is
with exactly the same command line as always generating the initrd and
then copying it to the /boot partition. This works well for 2.6.18, which
I just rebuilt after having discovered I'd lost the himem magic somehow.

In fact, thats the 2.6.18 I'm running on right now. If I get a decent
uptime here, then I'll be pretty well convinced its something in
2.6.19-rc1 thats doing it.

I haven't tried to setup a seriel console because both serial ports on this
box are already busy with other things. I could free a serial port if
someone could tell me howto make the bulldog ups monitoring software from
belkin use a usb port instead. Anyone have a clue to share on that
subject?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2006-10-22 02:15    [W:1.862 / U:0.116 seconds]