    SubjectRe: [RFC] cpuset: add interface to isolated cpus
    Nick Piggin wrote:

    > set_cpus_allowed is a feature of the scheduler that allows you to
    > restrict one task to a subset of all cpus. Right?
    >
    > And cpusets uses this interface as the mechanism to implement the
    > semantics which the user has asked for. Yes?
    >
    > sched-domains partitioning is a feature of the scheduler that
    > allows you to restrict zero or more tasks to the partition, and
    > zero or more tasks to the complement of the partition. OK?
    >
    > So if you have a particular policy you need to implement, which is
    > one cpus_exclusive cpuset off the root, covering half the cpus in
    > the system (as a simple example)... why is it good to implement
    > that with set_cpus_allowed and bad to implement it with partitions?
    >
    > Or, another question, how does my patch hijack cpus_allowed? In
    > what way does it change the semantics of cpus_allowed?

    That should be, in what way does it change the semantics of cpusets
    in any way?

    IOW, how could a user possibly notice or care that partitions are
    being used to implement a given policy? (apart from the fact that
    the balancing will work better).

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.