    SubjectRe: [CFT] Grep to find users of sys_sysctl.
    Date

    Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> writes:
    > glibc on ARM _requires_ sys_sysctl for userspace ioperm, inb, outb etc
    > emulation.

    It looks like we have a small but interesting set of sysctl users.

    The list of files below is a composite from a number of systems I have
    access to, and the reply I have gotten so far. I'm still hoping to hear
    from other people so I can add some other users of sysctl to my list.

    I'm still investigating to see how all of these pieces are using
    sysctl, and how much they care:
    - radvd seems to be an upstanding user.
    - libsensors seems to be using sysctls so we have no responsibility to
    maintain the ABI there.
    - libpthread uses sysctl but it doesn't much care.
    - module_upgrade seems to be setting the printk verbosity?

    The nvidia-installer sounds like a scary piece of code.

    I'm puzzled why the majority of the users seem to be concentrated
    in system configuration software and installers.

    These

    Compiling the results I have so far (Some of these are from older distros):
    /sbin/kmodule
    /sbin/sndconfig
    /usr/X11R6/bin/Xconfigurator
    /usr/bin/tiny-nvidia-installer
    /usr/bin/nvidia-installer
    /usr/sbin/glidelink
    /usr/sbin/kudzu
    /usr/sbin/module_upgrade
    /usr/sbin/mouseconfig
    /usr/sbin/radvd
    /usr/sbin/updfstab

    /usr/lib/libsensors.so.1.2.1
    /usr/lib/libsensors.so.3.1.0
    /usr/lib/libsensors.so.3.0.9
    /usr/lib64/libsensors.so.2.0.0
    /usr/lib64/libsensors.so.3.0.9

    /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/_kudzumodule.so
    /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_kudzumodule.so
    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_kudzumodule.so
    /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/_kudzumodule.so

    /lib/i686/libpthread-0.10.so
    /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0
    /lib/i686/nosegneg/libpthread-2.4.so
    /lib/libpthread-0.10.so
    /lib/libpthread-0.9.so
    /lib/libpthread.so.0
    /lib/tls/libpthread-2.3.3.so
    /lib/tls/libpthread-2.3.5.so
    /lib/tls/libpthread-2.3.6.so
    /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
    /lib/libpthread-2.4.so
    /lib64/libpthread.so.0
    /lib64/tls/libpthread.so.0
    /lib64/libpthread-2.4.so
    /usr/i386-glibc22-linux/lib/libpthread-0.9.so
    /usr/i386-glibc22-linux/lib/libpthread.so.0

    Eric

      Last update: 2006-10-20 16:43    [W:0.027 / U:0.524 seconds]