SubjectRe: sysctl
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> There's apparently some library functions that has used it in the past,
> and I've seen a few effects of that:
>
> warning: process `wish' used the removed sysctl system call
>
> but the users all had fallback positions, so I don't think anything
> actually broke.

Agreed, nothing seems to have broken by removing it but the warnings sure
are ugly. Is there any reason to have them? If a program relies on sysctl
and the call fails the program should properly handle the error. That
should be all the warning that's needed (i.e. report the broken program
and get it fixed).

> (The situation may be different with older libraries, which is why it's
> still an option to compile in sysctl. None of the machines I had access
> to cared at all, though).

So leave it as is for now, default to off with option to compile in if
EMBEDDED and then remove it completely in a few months?

- C.

  Last update: 2006-10-18 20:55    [W:0.133 / U:0.168 seconds]