    SubjectRe: Why aren't partitions limited to fit within the device?
    Ar Llu, 2006-10-16 am 09:28 +0200, ysgrifennodd Xavier Bestel:
    > > Hmmm.. So Alan things a partially-outside-this-disk partition
    > > shouldn't show up at all, and Andries thinks it should.
    > > And both give reasonably believable justifications.
    > Maybe the whole part table should be marked as "weird" to let userspace
    > run a diagnostics/repair tool on the disk.

    I actually like the "read only" suggestion that was made. Allow data
    access but protect from damage.

    Both options will allow 'repair' of a broken partition table as the
    partition will show up in fdisk which accesses stuff directly, and when
    that causes a revalidate it will re-appear to the kernel.

    Incidentally the question of exactly what libata should do about HPA
    handling also needs sorting out.

      Last update: 2006-10-16 12:31    [W:0.019 / U:19.184 seconds]