SubjectRe: Simple script that locks up my box with recent kernels
On 17/10/06, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >
> > Ok, finally got to the end of the bisection (see below; quoting all of
> > my previous email since my concerns from that one are still valid).
>
> Ok. It does smell like you marked somethign good that wasn't. That commit
> 1db27c11 was the last one you claimed was bad, of course, so it's the one
> git will claim caused it, when you've marked its parent good.
>
> > Where do I go from here? The problem is still there... I'll test
> > 2.6.19-rc2 tomorrow, but apart from that I don't know how to proceed
> > apart from trying to capture a sysrq+t dump when the box locks up...
> > any ideas?
>
> Yeah, trying to do sysrq when it locks is probably worth it. As is
> enabling debugging things (netconsole, page-alloc, slab alloc, lockdep
> etc).

I've got all those debug options (and more) enabled already in all the
bisection builds. I run with those options enabled most of the time
and I didn't change my config for any of the kernels I tested (except
for running 'make oldconfig').
netconsole is not much use to me as I don't have a second box at the
moment to capture output on :-( So the best I can do there is to let
the box run in a plain console with the test script and then press
sysrq+t when it locks and take a photo of the output (or whats left of
it on the screen) if any.

> But if nothing seems to really give any clues, you might just try
> to restart bisection with
>
> git bisect reset
> git bisect start
> git bisect good v2.6.17
> git bisect bad 1db27c11
>
> and just run the resulting kernel version for a day or two. If an hour
> wasn't really good enough, it's not as repeatable as we'd have wished, but
> even if it takes a few days to narrow it down by just two bisections or
> so, it will cut things down from ten thousand commits to "just" 2500..

Ok, sure. I'll do a days run of 2.6.19-rc2 first, just to see if it's
been fixed in the mean time. If it's still there I'll try to get a
sysrq+t and post that, then I'll restart bisection and give each
kernel a full 24hrs of testing before concluding it is good.

I'll report back as soon as I have some results.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>