    SubjectRe: 2.6.18 suspend regression on Intel Macs

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > "fix" for some value of the word.

    The value would be every _meaningful_ value.

    > The problem is that this is very much against the spec, and also quite
    > likely breaks a bunch of machines...

    No, it was not shown to break a single machine, and since the SCI bit was
    supposed to be on, it's a no-op on any non-broken hardware.

    > If we do this we probably should at least key this of some DMI
    > identification for the mac mini..

    No. That would be silly.

    Having _conditional_ code is not only bigger, it's orders of magnitude
    more complex and likely to break. It's much better to say: "We know at
    least one machine needs this" than it is to say "We know machine X needs
    this", because the latter has extra complexity that just doesn't buy you

    It's much better to treat everybody the same, if that works. That way, you
    don't have different code-paths.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:1.560 seconds]