SubjectRe: xfs: Makefile-linux-2.6 => Makefile?
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:42:14PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
>>Hi hch.
>>
>>Any specific reason why xfs uses a indirection for the Makefile?
>>It is planned to drop export of VERSION, PATCHLEVEL etc. from
>>main makefile and it is OK except for xfs due to the funny
>>Makefile indirection.
>>
>>I suggest:
>>git mv fs/xfs/Makefile-linux-2.6 fs/xfs/Makefile
>

> I'd be all for it, but the SGI people like this layout to keep a common
> fs/xfs for both 2.4 and 2.6 (with linux-2.4 and linux-2.6 subdirs respectively)
>
> p.s. and no, I'm not official xfs maintainer and never have been, so cc set
> to linux-xfs were all interested parties hang around.

Yep, our internal tree has both linux-2.4/ and linux-2.6/ subdirs, so this is
handy internal to sgi. But I don't have a big problem with the kernel.org code
losing the indirection, even if we keep it here. I'd check with Nathan first
though, because he'd have to work around that difference when he pushes code out.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason to drop VERSION & PATCHLEVEL... seems handy
if you have a common body of code that needs to build for various kernels, with
various Makefiles to suit. As above. :)

Thanks,

-Eric