SubjectRe: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 18:14 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:53:35PM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > > Does the Windows Explorer draw icons based only on name and metadata?
> >
> > >From what I can see it does icons on non-executable entirely based on
> > the extension and nothing else on the first pass. Executables are
> > looked inside for an icon (and there seems to be cache effects at
> > times, especially visible on the desktop). Then for images a second
> > pass generates icons depending on the contents (with, once again, a
> > cache hidden somewhere).
> >
> > Not a bad strategy, too. Doing a file(1) on everything can only be
> > slow given the random disk accesses it generates. Maybe a file(1) as
> > a _second_ pass would work.
>
> Gack, does Nautilus really do file(1) on everything? That's unspeakably
> awful.

I believe it does a lot worse things. It actually reads a picture file
for example, then resizes the picture down to an icon sized one and then
displays the icon, then on to the next file and for text files it
displays the beginning of the text file in the icon, etc... Totally
unnecessary and brings total slowdown. But of course as with Windows
Explorer this is configurable and you can just use list view without
icons...

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/