    SubjectRe: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree
    On 1/9/06, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
    > And then do
    >
    > git-rebase linus
    >
    > to rebase your development branch to mine.
    >
    > THIS is what "rebase" is for. It sounds like what you really want to do is
    > not have a development branch at all, but you just want to track my tree
    > and then keep track of a few branches of your own. In other words, you
    > don't really have a "real" branch - you've got an odd collection of
    > patches that you really want to carry around on top of _my_ branch. No?

    FWIW, I determine whether I should rebase or merge based on

    + Whether the branch/head I maintain is public. For public repos, I
    *must* merge carefully as rebase "rewinds" the head and that makes a
    mess of any repositor tracking me.

    + Whether the changes on my both sides are significant, and it is
    semantically meaningful to have a merge. If either side had just a
    couple of minor commits, rebase makes life a lot easier down the path.
    If both side clearly saw parallel development, it is more sincere to
    merge and let that be recorded.

    + If my attempt to rebase leads to any non-trivial conflicts or
    co-dependencies, then I definitely cancel the rebase and merge.

    > Now, in this model, you're not really using git as a distributed system.

    I'd argue that it is not about distributed or not. It's all in what
    you want to record in your history. As such, it is a communication
    device -- and I want to make effective use of it. I guess the question
    I ask myself is: what will communicate what's happened here most
    clearly? What will be useful for people to read? In that context, a
    white-lie here and there simplifying the history a bit where it's not
    interesting counts as a good thing.

    cheers,

    martin

      Last update: 2006-01-09 05:36    [W:0.024 / U:0.448 seconds]