SubjectRe: oops pauser.
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:35:08 +0100 (MET) Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> I believe kmsgdump (http://www.xenotime.net/linux/kmsgdump/) uses its own
> >> minimal 16-bit floppy driver to save the oops dump.
> >
> >It just switches to real mode and uses BIOS calls.
> >

> This technique btw is what I suggested (switch to 80x50 vga mode
> (if not in X)) in case of a longer oops trace.

kmsgdump already shows all of the kernel log buffer that is in
memory (has not been written to disk, basically).

If I (or we) had some time and motivation, I have a
contributed patch to kmsgdump that:

a. saves and dumps all of the kernel log buffer
(reminder: current dump targets are display, parallel port
printer, and legacy floppy disk)
b. adds a hard disk dump target and attempts to make this safe
by pre-reserving and writing each block of it with a
signature + block number (and maybe more, I'm not sure
right now)
c. add x86-64 support

but I have not merged this code into kmsgdump yet, nor have
I even tested it. I can't test the x86-64 support since I
don't (yet) have an x86-64 system available for this.

If anyone wants to work on this, I'll put the additional
code on the web.

---
~Randy

  Last update: 2006-01-09 02:45    [W:0.094 / U:0.864 seconds]