    SubjectAlmost 80% of UDP packets dropped
    I was trying to measure the UDP reception speed on my borad which
    has MIPS 4kc processor with 133 MHZ speed.I was transfering 10mb file
    from intel pentium 4 machine to MIPS board,but the recieved file was
    only 900kB.

    When i further investigated the problem ,i came to know that the user
    application was not getting enough opportunities to get data from
    socket queue which caused almost 80% of packets to be dropped as
    socket queue had no free space.

    When i increased the socket recieve buffer size,it resulted in
    increase in no. of packets recieved .When i slow slowed down the
    transmitter , it also caused more packets to be recieved.

    But the above mentioned mechanism only decreased no. of lost
    packets.But there was no way that i could increase UDP reception speed
    because the user application was not getting enough opportunities to
    read packets in burst of UDP packets.

    I noticed that user application started recieveing packets after
    Kernel had recieved all the UDP packets.

    Please tell me how can i make sure that user application or udp client
    running MIPS 4kc processor gets enough opportunities to dequeue
    packets from socket buffer so that lost of packets could be reduced to
    minimal and also the size of UDP recieved file in a specific interval
    of time could be increased.

      Last update: 2006-01-07 08:05    [W:0.022 / U:0.140 seconds]