    SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [patch] pm: fix runtime powermanagement's /sys interface
    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > > This trend is extremely alarming!!
    >
    > It scares me a bit, too.

    > I think we should start with string-based interface, with just two
    > states ("on" and "off"). That is easily extensible into future, and
    > suits current PCMCIA nicely. It also allows us to experiment with PCI
    > power management... I can cook up a patch, but it will be simple
    > reintroduction of .../power file under different name.

    That sounds good to me, provided you add to dev_pm_info a pointer to an
    array of string pointers, the names of the available states. For now all
    devices can share a single array with just two entries ("on" and "off",
    or even "0" and "2"). In the future, bus drivers will be able to
    substitute a pointer to a private array with device-specific state names.

    Of course, this change will require you to add something like

    const char *name;

    to the pm_message_t struct. PM-aware drivers will be able to use it to
    see which state was requested, and other drivers can ignore it.

    In fact, for PM-aware drivers the name field makes the event field
    unnecessary. But until all drivers are PM-aware we can't get rid of it.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2006-01-07 04:21    [W:0.026 / U:118.340 seconds]