    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 02:16:35 -0500
    Lee Revell <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 11:37 +0100, tapas wrote:
    > > ALSA's kernel level OSS emulation (as opposed to aoss) cannot provide
    > > software mixing. As aoss cannot provide OSS emulation to all OSS apps
    > Why not?

    I did write it out before. aoss is a LD_PRELOAD hack. Apps/libs that
    resolve the system call symbols at build time cannot be made to use
    these calls from a different lib (which is what LD_PRELOAD tries to do).
    A famous example is libc for which a workaround was added (as libc
    offers its own mechanism to intercept fopen() et al.). Others can lurk
    in the background, too. It would even be trivial to write an app that
    aoss will not work with - ever (unless the code be modified - which is
    not an option for closed source apps).

    It simply cannot ever work with _all_ apps (as opposed to kernel level
    OSS emu which can be made to work with _all_ apps (at least in

    Errm, i'm actually wrong about that. Kernel level OSS emu sw mixing
    cannot work together with userspace ALSA sw mixing. I completely missed
    that point.

    I still think, the easiest way would be to use FUSE as it gives the best
    of both worlds:

    - device file access as opposed to LD_PRELOAD hack (which has principle

    - access to userspace ALSA lib which would allow it to work together
    with ALSA's sw mixing for native ALSA apps.

    Maybe it can be developed as a third alternative independently. People
    without FUSE would have to try their luck with the other two. Plus,
    there's oss2jack which can probably be modified to use ALSA instead of
    jack (although i thinkg oss2jack actually uses fusd and not FUSE. Hmm,
    some more hacking would be required then). Also i think a FUSE based
    approach is actually less ugly than a LD_PRELOAD hack.

    BTW: Don't expect people to always write bug reports. We all know,
    people are lazy. More often than not, they simply give up and say "linux
    sucks" to their friends. Or if they can differentiate a little more,
    they'll say "ALSA sucks" ;) [<- smiley, indicates humor]. Especially
    those who use closed source apps ;)

    Palimm Palimm!

      Last update: 2006-01-05 12:50    [W:0.021 / U:0.976 seconds]