SubjectRe: mm/rmap.c negative page map count BUG.
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:15:20 -0800, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:11:51AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >
> > > Quite a few Fedora users have hit it over the last year,
> > > but what I find fascinating is that there's not a single
> > > occurance of "BUG at mm/rmap.c" in our 2.6.9 based RHEL4 bug
> reports.
> >
> > could mean it's caused by consumer hardware code...
>
> Yeah. People buying enterprise distros do tend to buy branded RAM
> with goodies like ECC from big name suppliers instead of a cheap $20
> noname DIMM from "Joe's computers".
>
> So it *could* be a lot of these are crappy hardware, especially
> as some of the reports do indicate that the problem went away
> when they upgraded their RAM. Some of the others though, I'm
> not so sure.

Nevertheless, there are more instances of the bug in recent versions.
For me, version 2.6.10 or 2.6.11 seems to be the big difference, from
1 bug monthly to --suddenly-- 4 weekly.

I'm experiecing that problem too. I have notice that sometimes
"bad_page_state" trigger before the BUG is reported.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/14/449

I have already installed the instrumentation Dave provided. I'll see how
it goes.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans