    SubjectRe: mm/rmap.c negative page map count BUG.
    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:15:20 -0800, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 09:11:51AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > >
    > > > Quite a few Fedora users have hit it over the last year,
    > > > but what I find fascinating is that there's not a single
    > > > occurance of "BUG at mm/rmap.c" in our 2.6.9 based RHEL4 bug
    > reports.
    > >
    > > could mean it's caused by consumer hardware code...
    >
    > Yeah. People buying enterprise distros do tend to buy branded RAM
    > with goodies like ECC from big name suppliers instead of a cheap $20
    > noname DIMM from "Joe's computers".
    >
    > So it *could* be a lot of these are crappy hardware, especially
    > as some of the reports do indicate that the problem went away
    > when they upgraded their RAM. Some of the others though, I'm
    > not so sure.

    Nevertheless, there are more instances of the bug in recent versions.
    For me, version 2.6.10 or 2.6.11 seems to be the big difference, from
    1 bug monthly to --suddenly-- 4 weekly.

    I'm experiecing that problem too. I have notice that sometimes
    "bad_page_state" trigger before the BUG is reported.

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/14/449

    I have already installed the instrumentation Dave provided. I'll see how
    it goes.

      Last update: 2006-01-05 20:07    [W:0.020 / U:59.328 seconds]