    SubjectRe: blatant GPL violation of ext2 and reiserfs filesystem drivers
    > Yes.  You're not a lawyer.  Stop wasting everybody's time by trying to
    > interpret a legal document.

    Matthew, thanks for your abuse. It was not necessary.

    As a programmer, it is essential that I, like others, have a
    reasonable understanding of the GPL. It is not written only for
    lawyers. I did not nitpick something esoteric; I nitpicked something
    which is important to real people who deal in GPL software which is
    not available to the public.

    > > That sentence is not clear to me. Are you're saying that it was
    > > possible to download the object code without source code, or that
    > > _only_ the object code was available?
    >
    > Why don't you go and look instead of quibbling in the abstract?
    > The binary is *currently* available, and no source code is.

    Because this thread kept using the past tense to say what crossmeta
    _have_ done. As it's still available, why mention 'third parties'?
    They're irrelevant; the violation is quite straightforward.

    > > No. They must provide the 'written offer' to the person downloading
    > > the binary, if they did not make available source code to that person.
    >
    > Why are you bothering to nitpick Harald?

    Because he wrote something that, _without context_, is a technical
    mistake that people sometimes make when talking about the GPL. Like
    you, I consider it my duty to ensure the GPL is upheld, and in the
    proper way. I appreciate now that Harald understands it well and his
    statement was a simplification; others, may not. I've been writing
    GPL software for 15 years; it's not a new thing to me.

    Please understand that I didn't receive these messages through a
    legal-experts list, where of course I would be far more cautious to
    comment; I received them on a software development list.

    > Do you not realise he understands the GPL better than you do, having
    > agreed over 30 settlements against people violating it? He's even
    > got courts to grant injunctions!

    That's correct. I did not realise that. That's great! But I haven't
    known Harald's name before; and also did not know this thread had
    reached the point of someone actually handling the legal end.

    -- Jamie (goodbye)

      Last update: 2006-01-04 17:00    [W:3.897 / U:0.008 seconds]