    SubjectRe: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    Jaroslav Kysela ha scritto:
    >>>FUD and nonsense. []
    >>That's the kicker, isn't it? Once you get used to it, it's a workable
    >>API, if kinky and verbose. I have a real life example, too:
    >>But arriving on the solution costed a lot of torn hair. Look at this
    >>bald head here! And who is going to pay my medical bills when ALSA
    >>causes me ulcers, Jaroslav?
    > Well, the ALSA primary goal is to be the complete HAL not hidding the
    > extra hardware capabilities to applications. So API might look a bit
    > complicated for the first glance, but the ALSA interface code for simple
    > applications is not so big, isn't?
    > Also, note that app developers are not forced to use ALSA directly - there
    > is a lot of "portable" sound API libraries having an ALSA backend doing
    > this job quite effectively. We can add a simple (like OSS) API layer
    > into alsa-lib, but I'm not sure, if it's worth to do it. Perhaps, adding
    > some support functions for the easy PCM device initialization might be
    > a good idea.
    > Jaroslav

    considering that alsa API and drivers is pretty stable i see no problem
    in OSS removal.
    When writing a program adding oss compatibility seems faster, but,
    creates lots of problems.
    check the skype example (yes i know it's closed-source). 99% of sound
    problems users have is due to OSS driver usage.

    that's a big problem. Needs a radical solution. Considering aoss works
    in 50% of cases i suggest aoss improvement and not OSS keeping in kernel.

    A good idea could be an OSS API layer over Alsa-lib...but i personally
    don't know how much can that costs, considering you should link against
    alsa-lib too.

    This discussion seems a no-sense.
    Kernel API continues to change every -rc and noone cares that.
    OSS has been deprecated for a lot, and it's as old as moon.

    Patrizio Bassi

      Last update: 2006-01-04 12:58    [W:0.026 / U:24.052 seconds]