SubjectRe: [Patch] sched: new sched domain for representing multi-core
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 05:12:16PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> It's still not clear what's supposed to be happening here.
>
> In build_sched_domains() we still have code which does:
>

> for_each_cpu_mask(...) {
> #ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_MC
> #endif
> #ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
> #endif
> }
> #ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
> #endif
> #ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_MC
> #endif
>
> So in the first case the SCHED_SMT code will win and in the second case the
> SCHED_MC code will win. I think.

I am not sure what you mean here. At all the above pointed places, both
MC and SMT will win if both are configured.

> The code is so repetitive in there that
> `patch' may have put the hunks in the wrong place.

I will check your -mm tree.

> What is the design intention here? What do we _want_ to happen if both MC
> and SMT are enabled?

If both MC and SMT are enabled(and available on the system), then there will
be two domain levels one for MC and another one for SMT.

> Also the path tests CONFIG_SCHED_MT in a few places where it meant to use
> CONFIG_SCHED_SMT, which rather casts doubt upon the testing quality.

:( Got introduced in my last version of the patch. Thanks for fixing it.

suresh

  Last update: 2006-02-01 02:50    [W:0.090 / U:0.116 seconds]