    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:24:49PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:16:13PM +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    > > This argument is basically watered down with devfs, udev, sysfs, etc. which
    > > all have exactly the same issues. Should a crippled OSS API be the way
    > > forward for Linux? I think not.
    >
    > And they're getting some real backlash because of that now. Hell,
    > Linus' message was about udev in the first place.

    The udev breakages might not have been nice, but OSS/ALSA is a
    completely different issue:

    OSS has been deprecated since ALSA was merged into the Linux kernel
    _four years ago_.

    And I'm only talking about removing drivers _with ALSA drivers for the
    same hardware available_.

    > As for the OSS API being crippled, I'd take the 3 ioctl calls you need
    > to setup a simple stereo 16bits output with OSS than the 13 ALSA
    > library calls anyday. Especially with the impressive lack of
    > documentation you get about what the hell is a period, or what you can
    > do except aborting when you get an error.

    For a general OSS<->ALSA discussion, you are five years too late.

    > OG.

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.