    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    Date
    On Tuesday 03 January 2006 13:58, David Lang wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > >> Even if Adrian's not trying to make this point (he's just removing
    > >> duplicate drivers, and opting for the newer ones), we accepted ALSA into
    > >> the kernel. It's probably about time we let OSS die properly, for sanity
    > >> purposes.
    > >
    > > Avoiding bloat is more important.
    >
    > given that the ALSA drivers are not going to be removed, isn't it bloat to
    > have two drivers for the same card?

    Normally this isn't too big a deal in Linux; eventually one gets removed, but
    not until it is substantially inferior than the other (or broken, or not
    compiling, or unmaintained..).

    > yes, an individual compiled kernel may be slightly smaller by continueing
    > to support the OSS driver, but the source (and the maintinance) are
    > significantly worse by haveing two drivers instead of just one.

    If there are two separate maintainers it's probably not a lot worse. I think
    the argument pretty much has to remain "ALSA drivers are technically
    superior, OSS drivers have unfixable limitations", and that should be a good
    enough reason to see them removed.

    Perhaps Andi's concerns about ALSA bloat could also be concerned. I don't know
    enough about the "high end" features of ALSA to comment on whether they could
    become optional (currently there are few driver-generic options in the
    Kconfig file).

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
    Third year Computer Science undergraduate.