    SubjectRe: [patch 3/9] mempool - Make mempools NUMA aware
    > >>I still think some sort of reserve pool
    > >>is necessary to give the networking stack a little breathing room when
    > >>under both memory pressure and network load.
    > >>

    > >"Lets throw some memory there and hope it does some good?" Eek? What
    > >about auditing/fixing the networking stack, instead?
    > >
    > The other reason we need a separate critical pool is to satifsy critical
    > GFP_KERNEL allocations
    > when we are in emergency. These are made in the send side and we cannot
    > block/sleep.

    If sending routines can work with constant ammount of memory, why use
    kmalloc at all? Anyway I thought we were talking receiving side
    earlier in the thread.

    Ouch and wait a moment. You claim that GFP_KERNEL allocations can't
    block/sleep? Of course they can, that's why they are GFP_KERNEL and
    not GFP_ATOMIC.
    Thanks, Sharp!

      Last update: 2006-01-28 17:44    [W:0.019 / U:34.156 seconds]