    SubjectOSDL and the Linux kernel community
    I've just read about Greg Kroah-Hartman (one of the 17 kernel
    developers) proposal about what OSDL could do to improve the kernel
    work. As a none-kernel developer I think it's important to look closer
    at some of the issues.

    First I have to mention that the kernel is an important but only _one_
    part of a Linux system a user may buy in a shop. There are many more
    parts which have to fit in until a system is bought. IMO the OSDL's task
    is to care for all of these parts, not only at the kernel. Nobody will
    buy a computer if it only has a superb kernel but the rest doesn't fit
    equally well.

    Second the breakthrough of the Linux desktop system has been predicted
    so many years, it's hard to find the correct number. It's not worth to
    discuss this much, just think the OSDL thought it necessary to start a
    survey about it last year. The results of this survey can be read here
    (http://www.osdl.org/dtl/DTL_Survey_Report_Nov2005.pdf). Besides the
    usual points as e.g. hardware difficulties, there is one single point
    which stands out. Doesn't it strike you odd when you read that these
    users still ask for applications not available on a Linux system? Even
    if the majority had Linux deployed? Can you imagine what the first top
    inhibitor of the Linux desktop adoption means?

    Well the answers is quite simple, it means a low market share! A market
    share so low that manufactures don't care about providing drivers, even
    so low they don't even provide documentation. Too low that vendors don't
    care for using parts which have Linux drivers, let alone selling Linux
    systems even if it's cheaper for them. Don't you think it is much more
    important to raise the market share above a minimal necessary level?

    So the number one priority to solve many of the problems of the Linux
    kernel is to increase the market share above this minimal level. To fix
    the first top inhibitor of the Linux desktop adoption. I guess very few
    of you have an idea how this can be achieved. Neither had the desktop
    architects at ODSL before I mentioned it to them. Even then they are
    reluctant to listen to me (see
    http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000349.html)
    albeit they finally seem to agree (see
    http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000369.html).
    At least they and most probably you don’t know any alternative.

    So if Linux should finally become widespread used by everybody my
    “cross-platform development” initiative (see
    http://wyoguide.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=Cross-platform.html) has
    to succeed. Only then becomes a Linux system attractive for the ordinary
    users and therefore for the vendors and the manufactures.

    You may ask now why do I tell this here and wonder what you have to do
    with. Well first it was Greg Kroah-Hartman proposal to the OSDL and
    second because I think my proposal will solve many of the limitations
    you currently face in your work. I think you are well advised to
    advocate this to the OSDL so they finally look for a desktop architect
    in their fellowship program
    <http://www.osdl.org/about_osdl/Maintainers/document_view>. You may
    further advocate the use of the wyoGuide guidelines so the Linux desktop
    only has just one set of guidelines instead of several. And you are free
    to participate in wyoGuide so it’s not only a good but the best for the
    Linux desktop.

    O. Wyss

    --
    Application guidelines: http://wyoguide.sf.net/