    SubjectRe: [patch 0/6] -stable review
    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Justin M. Forbes wrote:

    > On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 08:30:25PM -0800, Chuck Wolber wrote:
    > >
    > > Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't we supposed to stop doing
    > > this for the 2.6.14 release now that 2.6.15 is out?
    > I don't see a problems with doing additional stable releases for any
    > kernel, I just wouldn't commit to supporting any specific number of
    > releases. Basically if people send enough patches to warrant a
    > review/release there is obviously some interest. What is the harm?

    The harm is that stable release patches will eventually start being
    maintained and we'll have to add another stable release "dot" to the end
    of the growing width of the release version moniker. This stable branch
    was meant only for "one-off" fixes to a stable release, not for adding
    fixes upon fixes upon fixes that eventually turn into features that have
    to be maintained. A new stable release means we change our focus to it and
    ignore the old stable release.

    Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.
    ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology

    "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
    social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR

      Last update: 2006-01-29 05:54    [W:0.020 / U:92.960 seconds]