    SubjectOSS driver removal, a slightly different approach (v3)
    My proposal to remove OSS drivers where ALSA drivers for the same
    hardware exists had two reasons:

    1. remove obsolete and mostly unmaintained code
    2. get bugs in the ALSA drivers reported that weren't previously
    reported due to the possible workaround of using the OSS drivers

    I'm slowly getting more and more reports for the second case.

    The list below divides the OSS drivers into the following three
    categories:
    1. ALSA drivers for the same hardware
    2. ALSA drivers for the same hardware with known problems
    3. no ALSA drivers for the same hardware

    My proposed timeline is:
    - shortly before 2.6.16 is released:
    adjust OBSOLETE_OSS_DRIVER dependencies to match exactly the
    drivers under 1.
    - from the release of 2.6.16 till the release of 2.6.17:
    approx. two months for users to report problems with the ALSA
    drivers for the same hardware
    - after the release of 2.6.17 (and before 2.6.18):
    remove the subset of drivers marked at OBSOLETE_OSS_DRIVER without
    known regressions in the ALSA drivers for the same hardware

    To make a long story short:

    If you are using an OSS driver because the ALSA driver doesn't work
    equally well on your hardware, send me an email with a bug number in the
    ALSA bug tracking system now.

    A small FAQ:

    Q: But OSS is kewl and ALSA sucks!