SubjectRe: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Diego Calleja wrote:

> El Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:59:01 +0000 (GMT),
> Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie> escribió:
>
>> That's not what section 9 seems to say. The default is "any version
>> you like".
>
> That's not exactly what it says.
>
> The real text is (emphasis mine): "_IF_ the Program does not specify
> a version number of this License, you may choose any version ever
> published by the Free Software Foundation."
>

> Before that it says: "Each version is given a distinguishing version
> number. If the Program specifies a version number of this License
> which applies to it and "any later version", you have the option of
> following the terms and conditions either of that version or of any
> later version published by the Free Software Foundation"
>

> IOW, such rules will aply if no version has been specified or
> if has the "any later version" addon. Which is not the case:
> I can read "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2, June 1991".

It's possible there may be something I'm not understanding. I do recognize
that the license has a version number on it.

But then again, so did GPLv1. And it also had the same section 9 clause.

So the question is - why would the GPL need a clause that says "You can
use any version of the GPL if the Program does not specify a version" when
every official version of the GPL includes a version number? Are they
expecting authors to strip the version number header in order to somehow
take advantage of section 9?

Cheers,
Chase

  Last update: 2006-01-26 19:59    [W:1.823 / U:0.092 seconds]