    SubjectRe: Dont record local apic ids when they are disabled in MADT
    Date
    On Thursday 26 January 2006 15:10, Ashok Raj wrote:
    > On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:55:11PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > On Thursday 26 January 2006 14:48, Ashok Raj wrote:
    > > > Hi Andrew,
    > > >
    > > > We had added additional_cpus=xx for x86_64, but apparently there were some
    > > > BIOSs that had duplicate apic ids when they were reported disabled.
    > > >
    > > > It seems fair not to record them, this was causing some bad behaviour due to
    > > > the duplicate apic id. More details in the bugzilla recorded in the log.
    > >
    > > This means CPU hotplug will require additional non existing code again - or who
    > > will set up the APIC IDs etc. for the new CPUs then?
    >

    > The ACPI hotplug code already would refresh this apic id when the notify
    > for CPU hotplug is processed.

    How? All the code who could do this is __init.

    > (although i would say we tested this only on ia64 so far, the code is
    > generic to x86_64 as well, but i havent gone around testing physical hotplug
    > via emulation patches we have internally)

    I doubt it will work on x86-64.

    And you're breaking the CPU hotplug spec in Documentation/x86-64/cpu-hotplug-spec.
    I think the BIOS bugs need to be workarounded without breaking that.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2006-01-26 15:37    [W:0.021 / U:1.512 seconds]