    SubjectRe: [RFC] non-refcounted pages, application to slab?
    On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 11:26:01AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
    > Nick Piggin a écrit :
    > >If an allocator knows exactly the lifetime of its page, then there is no
    > >need to do refcounting or the final put_page_zestzero (atomic op + mem
    > >barriers).
    > >
    > >This is probably not worthwhile for most cases, but slab did strike me
    > >as a potential candidate (however the complication here is that some
    > >code I think uses the refcount of underlying pages of slab allocations
    > >eg nommu code). So it is not a complete patch, but I wonder if anyone
    > >thinks the savings might be worth the complexity?
    > >
    > >Is there any particular code that is really heavy on slab allocations?
    > >That isn't mostly handled by the slab's internal freelists?
    > Hi Nick
    > After reading your patch, I have some crazy idea.
    > The atomic op + mem barrier you want to avoid could be avoided more
    > generally just by changing atomic_dec_and_test(atomic_t *v).
    > If the current thread is the last referer (refcnt = 1), then it can safely
    > set the value to 0 because no other CPU can be touching the value (or else
    > there must be a bug somewhere, as the 'other cpu' could touch the value
    > just after us and we could free an object still in use by 'other cpu'

    I think that would work for this case, but you change the semantics
    of the function for all users which is bad.

    Such a test could be open coded in __free_page, although that does
    add a branch + some icache, but that might also be an option. (and
    my patch does also add to total icache footprint and is much uglier ;))

      Last update: 2006-01-25 12:00    [W:0.072 / U:0.032 seconds]