SubjectRe: [RFC] make it easy to test new kernels
On 1/25/06, jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Now, will all these talks about virtualization, I wonder if it will be
> possible one day to just download a new virtualized test OS and test
> it without rebooting the main one. I could always allocate 10 G to a
> test system on my disk. As long as I don't have to reboot.

[...]

Sure, you can test some aspects of the kernel in a virtualized environment.
Setup Xen [1] or UML [2] (or some other virtual machine software like
Bochs [3] or Qemu [4]) and use those virtual environments for testing
your new kernels - no reboots required.
Not the best way to test all aspects of new kernels, but if reboots
are out of the question then they are certainly options and better
than no testing at all :)

1. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
2. http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
3. http://bochs.sourceforge.net/