    SubjectRe: [openib-general] Re: RFC: ipath ioctls and their replacements
    On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 02:32:41PM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
    > I've been flailing away at the ioctls in our driver, with a good degree
    > of success. However, one in particular is proving tricky:
    > > Opening the /dev/ipath special file assigns an appropriate free
    > > unit (chip) and port (context on a chip) to a user process.
    > > Think of it as similar to /dev/ptmx for ttys, except there isn't
    > > a devpts-like filesystem behind it. Once a process has
    > > opened /dev/ipath, it needs to find out which unit and port it
    > > has opened, so that it can access other attributes in /sys. To
    > > do this, we provide a GETPORT ioctl.
    > I still don't see how to replace this with anything else without
    > performing unnatural acts.

    If this is all it does, why not keep it as a device file, where open()
    assigns the resources, read() returns them, and close() frees them? no
    ioctl necessary.

    Muli Ben-Yehuda |

      Last update: 2006-01-25 23:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.080 seconds]